Wednesday, October 5, 2011

BLBC reading list

Last year, the college counselor at the school I worked at in Bulgaria decided that we should have a book club. She named it the Bulgarian Ladies Book Club, though we were all non-Bulgarian but living in Bulgaria, working at the school. I had never done anything like that, but I dearly missed English classes and discussing books, so I was in from the first email. In addition to reading and discussing, another key aspect was eating. Each month, we would have a meeting to discuss a book. One pair would take care of the discussion questions and another pair (usually the ones hosting it at their residence) would make a lot of delicious food. It was wonderful. I really miss it.

We even compiled recipes that I then turned into an orderable book. Check it out here.

Anyway, here is a list of the books that we read over the course of the year together. I think they were trying to set up another book club for this year, so I will see if I can get my hands on that list.


The BLBC 2010 - 2011 Book List:

October:
The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman

November:
Bury Me Standing: The Gypsies and Their Journey by Isabel Fonesca

December:
The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga

February:
Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence

March:
Cold Snap: Bulgaria Stories by Cynthia Morrison Phoel

April:
Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

May:  
Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann

No comments:

Post a Comment