Friday, December 30, 2011

Bossypants

I love 30 Rock and I love Tina Fey. So, when I saw that Ms. Fey had written a book, I knew I wanted to read it. I was very pleasantly surprised to see that my stepdad/mom had bought the book on our Amazon account, which meant I could read it on my phone (oh, technology!). Even better, the version we have has some pictures and even Tina reading a chapter outloud.

Bossypants
Tina Fey

Well, for starters, let's let the book speak for itself. Because when you have someone as hilarious as Tina Fey writing, what more can I really offer?
Before Liz Lemon, before "Weekend Update," before "Sarah Palin," Tina Fey was just a young girl with a dream: a recurring stress dream that she was being chased through a local airport by her middle-school gym teacher. She also had a dream that one day she would be a comedian on TV. She has seen both these dreams come true. At last, Tina Fey's story can be told. From her youthful days as a vicious nerd to her tour of duty on Saturday Night Live; from her passionately halfhearted pursuit of physical beauty to her life as a mother eating things off the floor; from her one-sided college romance to her nearly fatal honeymoon -- from the beginning of this paragraph to this final sentence.Tina Fey reveals all, and proves what we've all suspected: you're no one until someone calls you bossy.(Includes Special, Never-Before-Solicited Opinions on Breastfeeding, Princesses, Photoshop, the Electoral Process, and Italian Rum Cake!)
This book was so good and so funny that I read it in two days while laughing uproariously by myself in my little apartment. You, too, can have a great experience like that just by reading this book! I love a book that makes me belly laugh because the author is just that good at comedy. I learned a lot about Tina Fey's life from this book, but mostly, I was just really entertained. I haven't been reading much lately, and this reminded me how much fun it can be.

I will absolutely read it again, and you better at least give it a try. Just go to Barnes and Noble and snag one to read while lurking in the shelves or in one of their comfy chairs. If you get self-conscious at how much you are laughing in public and appearing insane to others, then buy it. Or you can be like me and be comfortable in your off-beat persona. Or you can go to the google books preview and sample it on your computer on the interwebs. Whatever floats your boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment