Thursday, August 11, 2011

Word Choice Detects Everything from Love to Lies to Leadership

I've been poking around the UT website to see what goings-on are going on around campus that I can go to or get involved with, and I saw this article/news release on their news page.

Word Choice Detects Everything from Love to Lies to Leadership, According to Psychology Research
James Pennebaker

An excerpt from the article:
“Using computerized text analyses on hundreds of thousands of letters, poems, books, blogs, Tweets, conversations and other texts, it is possible to begin to read people’s hearts and minds in ways they can’t do themselves,” says Pennebaker, the Liberal Arts Foundation Centennial Professor and Psychology Department chair.  Pennebaker will publish his findings in his new book, “The Secret Life of Pronouns: What Our Words Say About Us” (Bloomsbury Press, August 2011), which is based on a large-scale research project that links natural language use to social and psychological processes.
It was pretty short, so I think to really know what he found and how it works, I will have to read the book, but I am intrigued. I like becoming more conscious and aware of what I say, how I say it, and what it means, especially as I don't think we are always terribly conscious of what we say, how we say it, and what it means, even though we are the ones saying it.

Of course,  because he mentions politics a bit, the commenters latched on to that and started throwing liberal/conservative fits (which I always find annoying). I don't really think that is terribly relevant.

A link to the book:
The Secret Life of Pronouns:What Our Words Say About Us

No comments:

Post a Comment